Friday, May 23, 2008

"Dream About The Days To Come" - 11

I am exhausted
Someone, long past my years,
asked about you today...

"Are you married?"
"No..."
"No, I didn't think you were. Do you have a girlfriend?"
"Yes ma'am"
"Are you two going steady?"

Steady? Going Steady?
Must be some terminology,
some slang they once
used in their time.
Yet something deep
in the far reaches of my
subconscious tells me it's meaning
I've used this phrase before
I've used it many times
It must have been in a past life
One we must have lived together.
I used this phrase when they asked
about us in that life...
So since i've used this
slang before regarding our
relationship in some other
far reach of time
I decided to use my same
answer:

"Yes, we're going steady"

And it flowed out the same way
comfortably, as if i've been using
the phrase all of my life
Is it strange then, that i've never
uttered the phrase?
Is it strange then,
that by some other
out-dated "status" we now fit?
Is it strange love?
No.

We're going steady...
...as they say...
...or we say...
...or said...

No comments: