Friday, October 10, 2008

you'll have to excuse me

Dear Bartender,
I know that our most
recent correspondence
has been quite jovial.
In fact, I can't remember
a time this wasn't very
happy, except for one
horribly annoying day
involving elderly crabbiness
and their english muffins.
Which is why you'll be
rather perturbed to hear
of my recent misfortune.
What is it? I won't put it
in some eloquent prose.
No. Instead I'll just come
out with it.
This evening...
...I'm ordering a Martini.
A very large one. Plain.
Please, save the flavoring.
It's not going to make the
taste any different.
Please, don't tell me
that I'll enjoy a flavored
martini. It won't make
me rationalize that fact
that I'm consuming something
that has the same effect on
my health as gasoline.
Straight gasoline.
So, regardless of weather
you fill the glass with
gasoline or with a plain
martini, I'll drink it.
Because at the end of the day
A martini is a martini.
And I'd personally enjoy it
much better plain.
I may be back in the future
for more wine, more beer,
more merriment, more happy
times. I'll may be back tomorrow,
I have no idea where tomorrow
is going to take me.
Just like, I didn't expect
to order a martini tonight.
Although, I've been planning
on ordering for a while.

So that's it. Not very Earth-shattering.
I'm sorry I've taken you
away from the other customers,
your job. But I know you
have your quiet pleasure in
reading my random letters to you.
And, my dear
friend
make me up
a martini

And remember, things are
always okay with me. Even if
I order a martini, things are okay.
And if they aren't, remember
they will be
soon enough.
And I'll remember the
same for you.
Best,
-Professor.

No comments: