Tuesday, December 11, 2007

i met a new person today...

I met a
new person
today
a guy
with light skin
and short dark
wavy hair
i sat in
my car
and watched
this
stranger
go to
his car
i planned on
taking
a nap
He fumbled
with his
car
got out
and
approached
my car.
So I
rolled
down the window
He was wearing
nicely pressed
jeans
tennis sneakers
and a white
Puma
soccer jacket
(I'd seen that jacket before)
He was
shorter
that me.
He asked
if i could
help him
start his
car
if
i could
give
him
a
"jump"
He appeared
normal
but once
we got to
talking,
he seemed
a bit unsure
yet kind
he must have been
weary
of the
stranger.
He made
me wonder
if i was talking
strange
or if i myself
was normal.

His car was
brand
new,
which added
to his
frustration.
He had a terrible
time getting the
hood of his
car to
open
but i helped
and figured out
how to open
it.
"I was just
going to call
my Dad, but
I saw you
there..."
"Oh its fine"
i said, "I'm glad you did..."
"I'm not holding
you up for
any classes
am i" he asked
the idea of holding
a stranger up for a
class to help
you
is terrifying
isn't it?
"Not at all,
i have a good hour
or so before class"

The cables
would not
stretch over
to my car
so i
manuvered it
twice
until the cables
reached.
We started
the engine
but he got nothing
i revved the
motor
nothing
he got out
quickly
and tried to
re-adjust the
cables,
but was unsure
so i got out
and re-adjusted
them
securely
once again the start of my
engine
and the start of
his
eureka!

And somehow
i wish his
engine didn't
start,
I wish
there
was more time
to get to know
people.
i wish we
could all
just put every little
problem down
and just hang out
or do something
to aid in
getting
to know
one another.
Had he
not asked
for
help
we would
never have known
each other.

He thanked me
graciously
"I wish
i had something
to give you
i dont have
any money"
he claimed
"No no, Don't
worry
about a thing
It's fine.
I've been in
this situation
a million
times."
That was
a lie
but it made
him feel
better.

"Thank you so much"
he exclaimed, "My
name is

Ben."

"I'm Jim"

We shook
hands
Some strange
salutation
greeting
human contact

It's absolutely
unbelievable
how each person on
this Planet
is so very
interconnected.
I never fully
understood this.
until just today

I met a
new person
today.
I helped
him.
He wanted
to give me
something for
my help
but had almost nothing.

"here, this is all I have"
and i accepted it.
i NEVER would have
but i knew
what it meant
and i did.
and for
as long aas
i remember
this
i'll be able
to keep
that little
gift
I can't tell
you what it
is.
nothing illegal
nothing concrete
but
it was
enough.

No comments: